The RockFor project
RockFor, the European reserach project funded by the 5th Framework programme (QLK5-CT-2000-01302) that lasted from 1/2001 - 12/2004, dealt with the efficacy of the protective function of mountain forests against Rockfall.
The project was coordinated by Cemagref Grenoble (FR),
the partners were Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (ES), EUROGEOTECNICA S.A. (ES), University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna (AT), University of Bern (CH) and WSL-SLF (CH).
The major results of the project:
For more information
- The final report, which provides the elements to create a strategic planning tool for managing rockfall protection forests (73 Mb)
- Rockfor.NET: an interactive web tool for estimating the efficacy of a mountain forest to protect against rockfall
- A .ppt file for strategic planning of rockfall protection forest management (400 Kb)
- Rockfall event assessment sheets (800 Kb)
- A .doc file with a report on the algorithms to be used to build a rockfall simulation model (430 Kb)
- An .avi movie of one of our experiments showing a falling rock on a forested slope (33 Mb)
- An .avi movie of one of our experiments showing a falling rock on a non-forested slope (3 Mb)
- A .xls file with the sizes and volumes of the rocks used during our real size experiments (80 Kb)
- Summary page of the work done by the WSL-SLF
- Scientific article: Dorren, L.K.A. and Berger, F., 2006. Stem breakage of trees and energy dissipation during rockfall impacts. Tree Physiology 26, 63-71.
- Scientific article: Dorren, L.K.A., Berger, F., Le Hir, C., Mermin, E. and Tardif, P., 2005.
Mechanisms, effects and management implications of rockfall in forests. Forest Ecology and Management 215(1-3), 183-195.
- Technical paper (in German): Dorren, L.K.A., Berger, F. and Maier, B., 2005. Der Schutzwald als Steinschlagnetz. LWF Aktuell 50, 25-27.
- Technical paper (in French): Dorren, L.K.A. and Berger, F., 2005. La forêt : un filet pare pierres naturel. Foretinfo.net.
Please contact email@example.com